How to buy a home with a deposit less than £10k
First-time buyers can live in the heart of Stratford-upon-Avon for as little as £9,750 deposit
Orbit Homes has a range of one, two, three, and four bedroom properties available in Arden Quarter with Help to Buy available
One-bed apartments in Arden Quarter start from £194,995
Why buy your new home in Stratford-upon-Avon?
Apart from being one of the most-popular visitor destinations in the country, Stratford-upon-Avon is understandably a property hotspot.
Putting aside its connection to a certain William Shakespeare, it has an enviable mixture of independent stores, waterside walks and great transport links.
But with popularity often comes a huge price tag - making living there somewhat unachievable. This is where Help to Buy comes in.
Help to Buy is a Government-backed equity loan scheme. With the help of up to 20% equity loan from the government you can buy your home with just a 5% deposit.
Orbit Homes has Help to Buy available on one, two, three, and four bedroom properties in its stunning Arden Quarter development in the heart of the town. More importantly the scheme is open to all new home buyers - not just first-time buyers.
One-bed apartments start from £194,995 - meaning they are available with a deposit of £9,750 through Help to Buy. Two-bed apartments start from £273,000 (£13,800 deposit), three-bed houses £374,000 (£18,700 deposit) and four-bed houses £439,000 (£21,950 deposit).
What are the homes like?
As expected with a new-build, each property in Arden Quarter is finished to the highest specification. Contemporary designs are featured throughout - together with modern appliances fitted as standard.
Each kitchen features:
- An integrated Bosch Fridge/Freezer and Dishwasher
- Glass splashbacks
- Stainless steel oven
- Chrome Recessed LED spotlights
- Porcelanosa ceramic floor tiles
The houses at Arden Quarter feature aluminium bi-fold doors out to a patio
Meanwhile every bathroom has:
- A white Vitra bathroom suite with chrome fittings
- Full-height Porcelanosa tiling around bath and shower
The apartments feature:
- A video door entry system with fob access
- Integrated Bosch Washer/Dryer
- Thermostatically controlled radiators to all rooms
Meanwhile every house comes with:
- Integrated Bosch Washing Machine
- Downstairs cloakroom with white Vitra Suite
- Grey powder coated aluminium bi-fold doors
- A paved patio area leading to a turfed rear garden
What about the area?
The newly-created park at Arden Quarter
If Shakespeare is indeed your thing, trips to Anne Hathaway’s Cottage, Mary Arden’s Farm and the RSC Theatre are essential. But step away from the tourist trail and Stratford-upon-Avon is buzzing with things to do and places to see.
There is an abundance of quirky retailers – including a Teddy Bear Shop – as well as independent stores and designer boutiques. The town also features a multiplex cinema and various museums.
Commuters can travel easily as the town offers great access to the M40 motorway and the development is close to the railway station. For parents considering moving to the area there are eleven schools and colleges with Outstanding Ofsted ratings.
So what do the buyers say?
The master bedroom in one of the Arden Quarter homes
Matthew Grimson bought a three-bedroom house worth £374,000 in Arden Quarter with £18,700 deposit through Orbit Homes and Help to Buy. For this the 31-year-old's property came with:
- A west-facing garden with patio
- A master bedroom encompassing the entire top floor with dressing room and en-suite shower
- Fully-inclusive specification including Bosch cooking appliances - fridge/freezer, dishwasher and washing machine
- Carpet or vinyl flooring to the hallways, living rooms and bedrooms
- Off-street parking for two cars
At first Matthew, who previously rented, did not think he would be eligible for Help to Buy. That is where Orbit Homes came in.
He said: "I work in the financial industry so I had reasonable awareness of the existence of Help to Buy. This being said I was unaware of the details. "Until I looked into it I wasn’t sure whether I would be eligible for various reasons. What I learned was the eligibility criteria is a much wider than I thought it was. "Help to Buy offered an opportunity to stretch to a larger home than was possible without Help to Buy. This felt like a good option both in terms of 'future proofing' for what life may throw at me in the next few years. "The process was extremely simple. The ladies working on site for Orbit were extremely helpful."
Matthew Grimson outside his new home in Arden Quarter
What does he think of Arden Quarter?
Matthew said: "I think that the design of the homes is distinctive. Some people don’t prefer new homes and I would have placed myself firmly in that category. "I had a general feeling that they can look very similar to each other. Arden Quarter was a bit different and that appealed to me. The location was also very important. "I wanted to live very centrally so I could wander out to cafes, shops etc. Again with other new homes they are often on the edge of towns which also has benefits but wasn’t for me at the time. "Beyond that the houses were spacious, well designed and came with a lot as standard. I like that everything is new and I don’t have to worry about anything going wrong."
One of the spacious bedrooms at a property in Arden Quarter
How can I find out more?
Arden Quarter's sales office is located in Brunel Way, Stratford Upon Avon, CV37 0AH. It is now open for viewings by appointment only.
Please contact them to arrange a time which is convenient for you. Click here to find out more about the procedures they are following to ensure the safety of customers and staff.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 01789 266233
You can see the original story on the Coventry Telegraph website
What is Help to Buy?
Help to Buy is available to all new home buyers, not just first-time buyers
- You only need a minimum 5% deposit to qualify
- The government will lend you up to 20% of the value of your property through an equity loan
- You will only need to secure up to a 75% mortgage from a bank or building society. The loan can be repaid at any time or on the sale of your home
- The scheme is only available on new build homes. It is exclusively for owner occupiers There is a maximum home purchase of £600,000. There is no upper limit on your household income